The first College to Career Leadership Workshop hosted by SWE Dallas, NSBE DFW, and SHPE DFW was a great success! On Saturday, January 28, collegiates and professionals met at the lovely Meadows Conference Center in Dallas to network and get prepared for entering or re-entering the workforce.
Attendees had their choice of attending one of three sessions each hour, with a pizza lunch sponsored by State Farm and Texas Instruments. Two hours of resume review and interview training were held, as well as sessions with guest speakers including:
- Alicia Morgan on Leading With Your Strengths and Values
- Brianne Martin on Personal Branding
- Lynn Mortensen on Changing Career Tracks from Technical to Managerial
- Norman Tidmore on Dressing for Success
- A panel talk on Industry Perspectives on Diversity in STEM Careers with Molly Sing and Zaineb Ahmad from SWE, Aniekan Inoyo and Dejanae White from NSBE, and Jacob Acosta from SHPE
Feedback survey responses were overwhelmingly positive, especially from our collegiate attendees who really enjoyed meeting professionals and getting some perspectives on strategies for securing their first job, lessons learned from early career challenges, and potential career paths to consider. They also gave us some great ideas for future session topics.
Special thanks to our sponsors and, our event planning team, and our day-of volunteers who provided their expertise and mentoring to our local collegiate and professional attendees! Working together for our common goal of inspiring and equipping engineers to be successful in their careers has fostered some great multicultural partnerships. We look forward to future events of this kind!