This is a day-long workshop based on SciGirls, a PBS KIDS weekly series and website out to change how millions of tween girls think about science, technology, engineering and math, or STEM. Educators across Texas are invited to attend this free professional development opportunity and discover how to engage young women (ages 8-13) through research-based, high quality activities and resources.
Participants (adults) attending the workshop will:
- Learn about the latest research for exciting and engaging girls (and boys) in STEM.
- Experience four hands-on STEM activities such as using dough to teach circuits, designing unique ways to measure your strde, manipulating an object to be neutrally buoyant, and creating your own experiment to identify mystery plastics.
- Leave with curriculum for 20 hands-on, video-enhanced activities that put a creative twist on teaching STEM.
- Learn how to modify any activity to excite and engage kids in STEM using the SciGirls Seven.
- Discover additional online resources that enhance teaching and learning experiences for all kids.
Registration is required (click to register!). Lunch is provided. We hope you can join us for this special event!
Dallas SWE will follow the success of its October 19th event Design Your World-STEM conference for girls at the same location March 29th for 6th through 12th grade girls. Stay tuned here for details on this and other efforts!
Dallas SWE Vice President of Outreach