On March 18, 2015 (rescheduled from February due to inclement weather) professionals from Dallas SWE, AT&T, ExxonMobil, and Raytheon met at SMU’s Lyle College of Engieering with collegiates from SMU SWE for their annual event, She Networks, She Wins! SMU SWE has hosted this event for over a decade to introduce college engineering students to professionals, build networks, and start mentor relationships.
Attendees enjoyed hors d’oeuvres and mingled with one another before the formal program started. Jennifer Vilbig, SMU SWE Counselor, opened the meeting with some announcements from Dallas SWE and a welcome to the panelists and attendees. SMU SWE President Emily Ghastin introduced each panelist and moderated the discussion, asking questions to the panelists and then fielding questions from the audience.
The panel discussion and open Q&A yielded some great insights:
- Keep an open mind for new opportunities, especially early in your career.
- Take time to make yourself a priority when balancing work and home life.
- Successful engineers make integrity, honesty, and dependability major components of their personal brand.
- Don’t try to be someone you’re not: it will show!
- Don’t burn any bridges! You never know where and with whom you’ll find yourself in the future!
Dallas SWE is a proud partner for this event. Thanks to SMU SWE for hosting another successful She Networks, She Wins!
You can view the agenda for this meeting on our Newsletters page.